Directions: You will be assigned a section of Thoreau’s Walden to read independently and take notes on in your journal. You will then have the opportunity to talk at your table to confirm your understanding of the section and clarify any confusing details. Finally, you will be responsible for teaching a larger group about your section. In order to do this well, you must create a Google Slide presentation that includes the following:
- A detailed and precise summary of the assigned section
- A thorough and thoughtful analysis of the assigned section
- A modern-day connection to the assigned section (this could be personal or societal)
- 3-5 images that correspond with and compliment the assigned section
Presentations are scheduled for Thursday, February 2nd. All materials must be complete and ready to present on that day.
Summarize: To give a brief statement of the main points of a text.
- Do not simply bulletpoint the main ideas. Instead, write the summary as a cohesive paragraph with a strong topic sentence and provide supporting details.
- You should also include properly cited quotations when appropriate.
- You should put the majority of the summary in your own words, but you may also use quotations in a summary when appropriate.
Analyze: To examine critically, so as to bring out the essential elements or give the essence of.
- Your analysis should revolve around an arguable thesis statement and be supported by appropriate concrete details.
- For this assignment, assume that you are writing a two-chunk theme analysis on the section of Walden that you were assigned.
- Your ideas in this section must be original and in your own words.
Connection: A relationship in which a person, thing, or idea is linked or associated with something else.
- Where do we still see Thoreau’s ideas at play in the modern world?
- Make and explain connections that are personal, societal, or a combination of the two.
- A bullet-pointed list of two-three connections is required.